Inno Setup is a free installer for Windows programs. First introduced in 1997, Inno Setup today rivals and even surpasses many commercial installers in feature set and stability. Installations are created by means of scripts, which are ASCII text files with a format somewhat similar to .INI files. (No, it's not as complicated as you might be thinking!) Inno Setup is a tool that helps you to create windows installers.
Scripts have an ".iss" (meaning Inno Setup Script) extension. The script controls every aspect of the installation. It specifies which files are to be installed and where, what shortcuts are to be created and what they are to be named, and so on.
Script files are usually edited from inside the Setup Compiler program. After you have finishing writing the script, the next and final step is select "Compile" in the Setup Compiler. What this does is create a complete, ready-to-run Setup program based on your script. By default, this is created in a directory named "Output" under the directory containing the script.
To give you an idea of how this all works, start the Setup Compiler, click File | Open, and select one of the script files in the Samples subdirectory located under the Inno Setup directory. (It may be helpful to use the sample scripts as a template for your own scripts.)
* Support for all versions of Windows in use today: 7, 2008 R2, Vista, XP, 2008, 2003, 2000, Me, 98, 95, and NT 4.0. (No service packs are required.)
* Extensive support for installation of 64-bit applications on the 64-bit editions of Windows. Both the x64 and Itanium architectures are supported. (On the Itanium architecture, Service Pack 1 or later is required on Windows Server 2003 to install in 64-bit mode.)
* Supports creation of a single EXE to install your program for easy online distribution. Disk spanning is also supported.
* Standard Windows 2000/XP-style wizard interface.
* Customizable setup types, e.g. Full, Minimal, Custom.
* Complete uninstall capabilities.
* Installation of files:
Includes integrated support for "deflate", bzip2, and 7-Zip LZMA file compression. The installer has the ability to compare file version info, replace in-use files, use shared file counting, register DLL/OCX's and type libraries, and install fonts.
* Creation of shortcuts anywhere, including in the Start Menu and on the desktop.
* Creation of registry and .INI entries.
* Running other programs before, during or after install.
* Support for multilingual installs, including right-to-left language support.
* Support for passworded and encrypted installs.
* Support for digitally signed installs and uninstalls.
* Silent install and uninstall.
* Unicode installs. (Windows 2000/XP or later)
* Integrated Pascal scripting engine option for advanced run-time install and uninstall customization.
* Full source code is available (Borland Delphi 2.0-5.0 and 2009).
Tags: Setup Builder
, Setup Creator
, create exe